Encouragement is a powerful way to show your child you believe in them and support their interests. Here are a few tips on how to encourage your child’s creative expression:
- Encourage creativity for the joy of it (not as a way to please others).
- Treat mistakes as “happy accidents” and a necessary part of the creative process.
- Make space and time for your child to create, make messes and enjoy being in the moment.
- Take your child to a variety of arts events in the community, including Township High School District 113’s wide array of arts offerings. Encourage your child to share their reactions.
- Give their creative work attention and praise their efforts. It shows your child you value what they’re doing and gives them confidence to explore more ways to express themselves creatively.
It’s not one 60-minute conversation.
It’s 60 one-minute conversations.